The GIS Developer will report directly to the GIS & Metadata Officer. The successful candidate will be expected to work closely with the SERVIR-Mekong Science team in developing geospatial tools, promoting improved information sharing, engaging in capacity building activities, maintaining SERVIR-Mekong data portal, and other tasks related to GIS and remote sensing.
It is not the intent of this Position Description to cover every aspect of the position requirements, rather to highlight the most important areas of personal and joint responsibility.
Required Qualifications and Specification:
The GIS Developer of SERVIR-Mekong will have the following minimum qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer science, GIS, Geography, Engineering, or a related field.
- Programming: Programming skills in any two of the following technologies: Python, SQL,
C++, Java, Clojure, ASP.NET MVC. Exposure to GIS Programming, Web Development & Design, Software Application Development, Software Application Lifestyle during semester projects or in degree project should be highlighted in the CV and would be considered as a plus. Priority will be given to those who have extensive Java or Clojure experience.
- Spatial Analysis Exposure to at least two GIS/RS packages in techniques to manipulate, extract, locate and analyze geographic data. Knowledge of GIS Analysis, GIS Modeling,
Data Integration & Conversion, Data Analysis, Geocoding, Geomatics is essential.
- Database management: GIS database design and management using both ESRI and open source technologies. Knowledge on how to store and extract information from structured sets
of geographic data is required.
- Communication Skills:
o Development and documentation of code in English is required.
o Ability to understand complex use case requirements in English.
- Additional Skills:
o Understanding of and/or willing to learn math and statistical analysis
o Good IT technical skills
o The ability to think and solve problems
o Ability to learn new programming languages and styles including literate
Roles and Responsibilities
- Work closely with GIS & Metadata Officer, to translate the models into algorithms and scripts.
- To develop UI/UX around the scripts on multiple platforms.
- Ensure that SERVIR-Mekong code repository is versioned and maintained on GitHub
- Troubleshoot bugs and errors during the SDLC and maintenance lifecycle
- Provide technical supports on SERVIR-Mekong tools development, as well as help ensure effective and efficient coordination of activities and inputs to achieve project objectives.
- Contribute to strengthening and creating new relationships with partner agencies.
- Contribute to proper documentation of procedures and processes developed under
- Provide technical supports to the SERVIR-Mekong Science Team on training courses, workshops, and other capacity-building activities in the planning, delivery, and follow-up phases, as needed.
- Participate in meetings related to SERVIR-Mekong objectives, especially GIT functions.
• Travel as needed to countries in the Lower Mekong to coordinate the implementation of
activities related to SERVIR-Mekong objectives.
- With permission from the Supervisor, provide technical resource inputs under key specialized areas to all other departments, as required
- With permission from the Supervisor, participate in corporate functions and external events
- Foster the one ADPC concept across the organization through
o Program delivery,
o Resource allocation,
o Shared accountability, and
o Inter-departmental collaboration
This job description covers the general responsibilities and representative tasks of this position. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to program priorities and needs.
**Reporting, Communications, and Work Relations